Tuesday, November 22, 2011

FELIX WALKS ON

There use to be a price to be paid for me getting them into the Magic Kingdom.

A penny to put in the mutoscope at the Penny Arcade on Mai Street. What is a Mutoscope you ask? It is a mechanized flip book. The frames are printed on stiff paper and attached to a drum. You turn a crank and the the pictures are flipped in front of a slot.

e>

I fell in love with these things going to a restaurant called Aunt Hattie's. And I remember spending an afternoon at the state fair with a whole tent full of these marvels. The third time around I was watching them frame by frame. I think the barker was glad to see me go,

The one mutoscope that I would spend all those pennies on in Main Street had a Felix the Cat cartoon.



Now this always seemed to be poetic justice ... that in the land of the Mouse that Felix the Mickey of the silent era would be there.

So Felix is my first attempt at a walk using cutouts in Flash. This took me about 3 hours or maybe 4, Lost count, to do about 5 seconds.




It came ok for baby steps. I am 2 frames off. 14 instead 12. 12 will give ma a more musical rhythm beat.Still a learning lesson.

1 comment:

  1. That was really cool! Thank you for sharing that. I love Felix!

    ReplyDelete